Most of us know the contours of weight loss – exercise well, eat healthy foods and shun high calorie junk food. However, one misconception generally prevailing about diet and weight loss is that to eat healthy you have to buy expensive foods. Nothing can be further from the truth. Common food items like fruits and vegetables, whole grains and yogurt help weight loss and they do not cost the earth.
Here are 8 foods that will help you lose weight without breaking the bank.
- Whole Eggs – New studies have shown that eggs DO NOT adversely affect blood cholesterol neither are they the cause of heart attacks. Eggs are high in proteins and healthy fats and give a feeling of fullness on very few calories. Being nutrient dense, they offer all the nutrients you need when on a calorie restricted diet.
- Leafy greens – This category includes kale, spinach, collards and some others. These are loaded with fibre while being low on calories and carbohydrates. They also have incredibly high levels of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and calcium with the latter proving to have fat burning properties.
- Cruciferous vegetables – Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts are some of the food items in this category. All these contain high fibre which combined with low energy density makes for items that leads to weight loss. Such vegetables are very nutritious too and contain anti-cancer properties.
- Boiled Potatoes – Potatoes have several properties that make them an ideal tool for weight loss as well as for maintaining optimal health. They are high in potassium, a nutrient that helps in blood pressure control. Eating boiled potatoes will make you feel full thereby reducing the craving for other food or heavy meals.
- Tuna – Being a lean fish there is not much fat in it. It is a low calories and high protein food and is therefore much preferred by bodybuilders and fitness models. To maximise protein intake, choose tuna that is canned in water and not oil.
- Beans and legumes – Lentils, black beans, kidney beans and others in the same food group are beneficial for weight loss. These are high in protein and fibre and have some starch resistant properties.
- Soups – Meals and diets that have low energy density lead to low calorie intake. Moreover, these foods such as fruits and vegetables contain a lot of water and make you feel quickly satiated. You can also add water to your food to make it a soup. By having the same food in soup form rather than solid form makes people feel full resulting in lower calorie in-take and weight loss.
- Nuts – Even though nuts are high in fats, they are not much fattening. Eating nuts improves metabolic health thereby leading to weight loss. A word of caution though. Nuts are high in calories and hence if you cannot take them in moderate quantities only and have to resort to binge eating, it is best to avoid them.
There are many other foods that you can include in your diet plan that will help you lose weight. Cottage cheese, avocados, apple cider vinegar and full fat yogurt are some of them.